You should assume this is out of date.
Contact: james at booktwo.org
James Bridle is a writer, artist, publisher and technologist based in London, UK. His work covers the intersection of literature, culture and the network. He writes for a wide range of media, online and in print, and lectures worldwide.
James writes a regular column in the Observer newspaper (UK) on publishing and technology. As well as his own blog, his writing has appeared in the New Statesman, Frieze, Eye, De Gids, ICON, Domus, Form, Cabinet, TAR, WIRED, the Guardian, the Atlantic and elsewhere.
- Dread: Fear in the age of technological acceleration, De Hallen, Haarlem, Netherlands, September 2013
- Bienal Internacional De Curitiba 2013, Brazil, August-December 2013
- Design and Violence, Museum of Modern Art, New York, USA, Fall 2013
- Drones, The Gallery Project, Detroit (October 2013), Ann Arbor (January 2014), USA
- A Quiet Disposition, Corcoran, Washington DC, June 2013
- Under the Shadow of the Drone, Lighthouse / Brighton Festival, Brighton, UK, May 2013
- Coded Conduct, Pilar Corrias, London, April 2013
- Afrofutures, Milan Design Fair, April 2013
- Decenter Armory, Abrons Art Center & Henry Street Settlement, New York, USA, February 2013
- Coded Perception: New Aesthetic Expo, Setup, Utrecht, Netherlands, November 2012
- Cidade Campus: Re-imagining the possibility of the smaller city, Guimaraes, Portugal, November 2012
- Adhocracy, Istanbul Design Biennial, Turkey, October 2012
- Social Insurgents, London Design Week, UK, September 2012
- GeoCity Smart City, CMoDA, Beijing Design Week, China, August 2012
- The Joy of Gif, Photographer's Gallery, London, June 2012
- Pop-Up Library: The Collectors, Monte Vista Projects, Los Angeles, USA, June 2012
- After The Bit Rush, Mu, Eindhoven, Netherlands, December 2011
- After Reasonable Research, Printed Matter, New York, USA, February 2011
- Hybrids: The social web in the physical world, Gallery AHO, , Norway, September 2010
Residencies & Awards:
- Honorary Mention, Interactive Art, Prix Ars Electronica 2013
- Visible Futures Residency, School of Visual Arts, New York, November-December 2012
- Happenstance Residency, Brighton, March-April 2012
James speaks at conference and events worldwide, including SXSW (Austin), dConstruct (Brighton), LIFT (Geneva), Web Directions (Sydney) and NEXT (Berlin), as well as artists' talks in galleries, and has appeared frequently on radio for the BBC, CBC (Canada), ABC (Australia) and others.
- Tutor, Goldsmiths, University of London, February-March 2013
- Lecturer, Interactive Telecommunications Programme, New York University, September-December 2013
May 2007—July 2009 // Producer, Apt Strategy and Design for the publishing industry.
May 2005—May 2007 // Publisher, Snowbooks Ltd. Editorial and marketing for independent publisher.
2000-2004 // University College London MSci Computer Science with Cognitive Science, 2:1 Four-year Masters degree in Computer Science specialising in Artificial Intelligence, with additional studies in Linguistics (concentrated in the fields of Pragmatics and Cognition), Psychology and English Literature.
1994-1999 // Radley College, Oxfordshire A-Levels: English: A, Physics: A, Pure Mathematics: B, Applied Mathematics: B. GCSEs: 5 A*, 4 A, 1 B